Monday, June 13, 2005

Mindfulness

This could so be me.  Walking and reading at the same time.  Overly enthusiastic dog.  Psycho cat.

We had such a lovely morning.  My son and I had picked up his brother from college yesterday and driven about an hour east of Chicago to LaPorte, Indiana, where we had settled into a small resort hotel on a little lake.  This morning I took a long walk, discovering another lake and a path through the woods.  I came back to a refreashing swim in the pool just outside our door and a little bit of time to bake in the sun while the boys swam and got organized for the trip home.   

I think this summer's highlights will be made up of tiny patches of time like that.  We used to spend a week or two in St. Augustine every spring, a week or two at Chautauqua every summer, and a week or so at least once a year in a completely new place.  Four different school schedules, five different sets of jobs and activities, and increasing monetary pressures have ended that period of our lives, so we have to find our moments where we can, and not necessarily all together.   

I've been reading a lot of Buddhist stuff in the past month.  I have a real need to practice mindfulness, to be in and aware of the existing moment.  (That probably means that I should not be reading and walking at the same time.)

It's been a tough few weeks.  My children are clearly off and on their way, and no matter how intently I focused on their presence as they grew up, the fact is that they still grew up faster than speed-dial moves.  I've had a huge disappointment, with major financial repercussions, at work, adding a completely unexpected level of stress to my life.  I've had a huge compliment outside of work, in an arena that's important to me, and I'm mystified by the juxtapositon of such bad stuff in one place and such good stuff in another.   

So. . . I really needed to just enjoy the Indiana water and sun this morning.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like near paradise.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you found a much needed moment of joy.  I wish you many more of those in the upcoming weeks,months and years.

Anonymous said...

Life is so full of yin and yangs that it is mind boggling sometimes.  I have found on many occassions that if my personal life is going well, then my professional life is in a flux! Or vise versa.

Anonymous said...

Good balanced by bad...that is a good way to go through life.   At least it's not ALL bad...  I'm sorry about the work problem.  It sounds a bit like me, doesn't it?  And don't you hate having financial problems at this late age?  Been going through similar trials myself.  And you get to wondering, "When will I ever get to the point that I have MADE it (whatever or wherever "it" is...)  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the setback at work, but good for you for focusing on those little positive moments as well.

I'm loving your pictures of the cast-iron sculptures....very cool.

Anonymous said...

big hugs, judi

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that something awful happened at work but very pleased to find you carefully examining and celebrating the pockets of joy in your life.     If you do make it to Chatauqua this summer, please let me know.   I may just have to find my way down there to say hello.

Anonymous said...

It's a rare time in life when EVERYTHING is just sailing the right way.

I'm glad you're enjoying your Indiana respite...and some treasured time with your boys.