Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Oh, To Be 20!

Yesterday afternoon I received the following email from my son, a second-year at the University of Chicago:

<<Dear Mom,

Given your desire to know what it is I do aside from the
tedium of coursework, I have decided to write you about this
last weekend. Actually, I'm sending you a single image, from
which I imagine you can piece together much of my adventure.

For your piece of mind: I'm am currently in Chicago and have
neither missed a class nor neglected so much as one
assignment.>>

The photo he sent, clearly of Morning Glory Pool, a hot spring found along the Old Faithful Boardwalk, caused me to e-mail him back immediately, as follows:

<<You went to YELLOWSTONE?????????>>

As the evening progressed and the storyunrolled, it turned out that he and three other guys had spent the long week-end driving to TO IDAHO AND BACK.

And I thought he would be sound asleep in Chicago.  Silly mother.

En route to the Continental Divide.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose it is all part of letting go...that we no longer know where they are most of the time!  BTW, I can't see the photo, only a red x. Have you tried photobucket.com?  Seems to solve the red x issue.

Anonymous said...

I can't see the photo but I can JUST imagine...

What an incredible time in his life!!

Anonymous said...

What a great adventurous spirit your son has!

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm back to see the picture.....it's the Badlands!!!

COOL!

Anonymous said...

When I was that age, I spent a LOT of time driving back and forth across the country.  If I tried that now, they'd have to pry me out of the car with a crowbar and get a winch to straighten me out, after sitting that long!  Ah, those were the days!  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

oh I'm jealous!   what a great weekend trip, it sure helps to be young.   my husband has done this twice since we've been married.   both times after buying a new car.  He has called and said, I'm on my way out west, I should be back in a week or so.   he's still a kid at heart : )   I'm waiting for my chance to do it as well, I love to drive and would like to wander with no destination in mind.  
isn't it better to know about this after your son's safe return than while the plan was being hatched?  

Anonymous said...

Now I see the picture!  oh my gosh, that is SPECTACULAR!

Anonymous said...

LOL    A piece of the adventure for sure but I'm betting you missed most of pieces.    

The strangest thing we did in college was go to Niagara Falls - about an hour away.   The Customs Inspector was not too impressed with our shabby 4AM appearance.    The response to the question "How much money are you bringing into Canada?" involved a prolonged search of the glove compartment and seat crevices which revealed that we couldn't afford to take the Thruway home and would have to travel the backroads.   The falls were beautiful at sunrise.  

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes, to be 20...  (big grins!)  What a fabulous time they must of had.  Beautiful picture...
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I am so jealous.  
Tami
http://journals.aol.com/rivercitygirl1/PicturePages