Saturday, June 18, 2005

Summer Breeze

I actually fell asleep and took a real nap this afternoon.  I was wiped out because the lovely new graduate went out to a drive-in with friends last night and called at 12:15 to say they wanted to see the second feature and would spend the night at the young man's house rather than drive home at 3:00 a.m.  Of course, I didn't really sleep until after I talked to her at 2:45 and they had all arrived safely. 

We had A Discussion about it when she got home today.  She is so completely at the We Are Adults and Can Make Our Own Decisions place and I so am not.  It's like having one of those little people around again, the ones who put their hands on their hips and say "You are not the boss of me!"  This is my third time through, and I am very aware of the need for them to make their own decisions this summer while there are still parents nearby to pick up the pieces if necessary.  But that doesn't do anything for my sleeping, or lack thereof.

Tonight we all went out to a ball game to celebrate my husband's birthday today and Father's Day tomorrow.  The kids had really wanted to do something special together, since it's rare for us all to be here at the same time in the summer, when all of our birthdays are.  There was a terrific fireworks display afterward, which was great since by July 4 we will be down to one child again.  In fact, tomorrow the boys and I leave to deposit one of them in the other's apartment for the summer so he can start his summer architecture classes the next day.  This is his big experiment, his attempt to see if he would like to pursue a career in architecture after college -- God forbid that his own school should offer degrees in any subject of a practical nature, such as architecture or engineering.

I'm ready for another nap.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep - when my 19-year-old son goes out and returns with stories - ay ay ay!  Sleep is a wonderful restorer!  Good luck - you're on the final stretch, but my, it can leave one winded!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

I'm only on my first time through this particular right of passage.  Does it get any easier once they've left for college and you know absolutely NOTHING?!?!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of all the torture I used to put my parents through -- focusing on my own life and oblivious to their worry, of course. Hang in there, Robin.

Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/lici/AWritersAngst

Anonymous said...

Oh my...  you certainly have your hands full!  Sleep - no sleep.  Children - no children.  I was an architecture major as an undergraduate.  It was brutal!
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

Not being a mom, I can't feel your pain...but I can remember MY summers of making my own decisions while there were still parents nearby to pick up the pieces.  I thought I was SO grown-up and independent.  Then I got mono and ended up in the hospital for a week.  I was nineteen and NOT a student.  I can't imagine that my dad's insurance covered me at that point.  But the parents paid every bill and never uttered a peep about how much it cost or what a hardship it was.  SOOOOOO....God love you, Robin.  You are The Good Parent.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain!!! My daghter is very responsible, but I can't sleep a wink until I know she's safe... hang inthere...her's some coffee!! Penny

Anonymous said...

Mandy is seventeen and starting to flex that muscle a wee bit. I am dreading when she can say she is an adult. She is SO not an adult.