Wednesday, June 1, 2005

Spreading Their Wings

I knew I was in trouble when my then 17-year-old son called from France to say that he was faxing me a permission form to sign that would enable him to travel across the country and stay in a hostel by himself.  I pointed out that I would not think of allowing him to travel to say, Boston, and stay in a motel by himself.  "M-o-o-m," he whined, "this is FRANCE, not the United States."

Precisely.

Well, he survived it, although a year or two later I learned that he omitted a few of the more lurid details about the isolated train station in Marseilles.

Many years ago a friend and I had a long discussion about what we really wanted out of our later life.  What I wanted, I concluded (and she concurred) was to purchase three of the houses on my block and install each of my children and his or her respective spouse in one of them with, of course and most importantly, my grandchildren.  I wanted them all to come around for family dinners and movie nights, and to call me up to go out with them occasionally.

Of course, we had already blown it.  Summer camps in North Carolina.  Soccer tours and language camps and school years far, far away.  A family trip pretty much every time we scrounged up enough money to maybe think about curtains or carpeting.  Of the six children between my friend and I, their colleges represent or are about to represent four states besides our own.

I have a number of friends and acquaintances who drew a circle with a radius of a couple of hundred miles from home and told their kids, "That's it for college."  Just not my style.  And, even if it were, the aformentioned friend has commented more than once that her first child, who went to college about an hour away, was thoroughly miserable for four years.  "Distance, or lack thereof, is just not a factor," she says.  Her youngest, and only girl, is headed to the west coast this fall; mine is headed to New Orleans.

There's another really, really important reason for my foolish shove of  my chicks out of the nest.  When I was nine, and off at summer camp in the south for two months, I grossly offended another young lady in my cabin by my use of the term, "you guys."  And I couldn't help it.  "Y'all" just didn't glide off my tongue. "You guys" was my way of being friendly and open to strangers.  I can still remember that girl, a skinny little thing with a head full of curls, stalking off with the disgusted pronouncement, "I am NOT a guy."  I have never forgotten that lesson in how easy it is, despite the best of intentions, to offend utterly another human being.  A powerful insight for a nine-year-old.

Forty years later and I still don't apply it too well.  But I think it's important to know that you can live with all kinds of people, and it's equally important to know that it can be difficult to do so.

I did set out, intentionally, to offer my children the opportunity to become independent citizens of the world.  I'm only the slightest bit disapppointed that they seem to be taking me up on it.  They do these things -- like heading off 1500 miles to see the Yellowstone sunrise -- without me!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robin, you've done such a great job with your kids. They seem like such vibrant, interesting, independent young adults. You are to be commended. As someone who tends toward the overprotective, I can learn from you. As an aside, my son is going to a weeklong African safari camp at the science center this week. He was miserable the first day and begged me not to make him go back. I did, though. This morning, he said with a resigned sigh, "Maybe today will be better." It broke my heart. But you know what? Today WAS better. He actually enjoyed himself. :)

Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/lici/AWritersAngst

Anonymous said...

You are a very brave Mom.  I live in fear of my children leaving me.  I try not to let them know it, so I don't stifle them, but I can't help it.  Loving someone so much can take on different paths.  How nice for your children that you are able to take that one.  Mine are not so lucky, lol.  Pamela

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful photograph!  Stacy

Anonymous said...

You've done a great job with your kids.  If they weren't ready to leave you, something might be off.

Anonymous said...

Just think about all the great places you will be able to visit.

Anonymous said...

You should be proud, Robin - congrats indeed!  And not knowing the lurid details is ALWAYS  better!

Letting my own children fly the coop is so hard for me, especially since I am on my own, but y'know, when I grasp and understand what it means to them, then it becomes easier.  I would take on their pain any day if I could, so allowing them joy makes all the sense in the world.  Fly, birdies, fly!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Indeed, you taught them well.  How wonderful that they can experience and enjoy so many different things on their own!  You didn't raise any shrinking violets.  Good for you, and good for them.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Wow - beautiful picture. You're kids are lucky, I'm can tell you're a great Mom. I wish my Mom had instilled some more of that fearless nature in me. ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've done a fine job!

Anonymous said...

Your children have learned how to have adventures and seize the moment with confidence.   What a fantastic gift!

Anonymous said...

One of the best things we did for our kids were European home exchange when they were preteens. So what happens? My daughter lives with friends in a house not a quarter of a mile away. Good parenting, Robin.

Anonymous said...

Oh, but you gave them the spirit of adventure!!! Brave Mom....( quiver quietly here where we all do...LOL) That picture represents a life experience that will be talked about for many, many moons!!!! Penny

Anonymous said...

warm hugs your way. judi

Anonymous said...

you sound like a wonderful mommy!  love the photo  :-)

~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

Your entry brings me big smiles!  I admire your willingness to let your children soar with the winds of life and be there to guide them when the winds change direction.  You're a rarity!  Lovely, truly lovely!!!!!!

Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall