Thursday, September 22, 2005

All The Books I Am Not Reading

My friend Kathryn left a bit of a challenge a few entries back when she commented on the tower of books on her bedside table.

I don't have a bedside table.  I have a narrow five-shelf bookcase.  And I have the floor that runs alongside the bed next to the wall and window.  I couldn't begin to count the book-and-magazine content of those two spaces.  Let's just say that I'm surprised I haven't sprained an ankle yet by sliding across the floor clutter when I get out of bed.

The top shelf of the bookcase:

Dan Charon's You remind me of me.  Crisp and shiny.  I haven't opened it -- looks like something that caught my eye at the bookstore one day.

Edward Rutherford's The Princes of Ireland.  One of those centuries-long sagas you can't be without.

Piers Paul Read's The Templars.  After The DaVinci Code, who isn't curious?

Jack Kornfield's A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life.  His guides to Buddhism are always accessible.

Pema Chodron's Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living.  Pema Chodron saw me through the most agonzing period of my life.  It's been four years, but I really can't read her again, not yet.  I just look at the name (on any of a number of books lying around here) and I am immediately transported back to a place that feels like suffocating ice and terror.  But I keep her around, knowing that there's a  lot to be gleaned during periods that are not so infused with trauma.  I just can't do it yet.

Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason's The Rule of Four.  A DaVinci Code rip-off.  Not so entertaining.

Mary Oliver's House of Light and Blue Iris.  Now these, these I can pick up anytime.  Herons who live and herons who die. 

And why I am not reading?  Or walking?

Well, as of this week-end, we will have delivered three children to four colleges.  Burgeoning charge cards, health insurance forms, debit cards, trips to Linens 'N Things and Target, basement searches for wayward sheets and blankets, runs for first aid and cosmetic supplies, discussions of courses and activities and jobs -- and that little up-ender, Katrina.

I have teaching, and my own graduate class (for which I should be working on a paper at this very moment), and the Adult Ed and Spiritual Formation committee and the Session at church, and working on hurricane relief, and the bills, and the house -- the house?  Oh yeah, heaps of clutter practically get up and follow me wherever I go.  I guess that's the house.  I've been to a reunion and I've been -- uh -- exploring certain other options for my life.

So I will leave (literally, too, since tomorrow it's off to Chicago) with a Mary Oliver reminder of what I really should be paying attention to:

THE LOON ON OAK-HEAD POND

cries for three days, in the gray mist,

cries for the north it hopes it can find.  

plunges, and comes up with a slapping pickerel.

blinks its red eye.  

cries again.  

you come every afternoon, and wait to hear it.

you sit a long time, quiet, under the thick pines,

in the silence that follows.  

as though it were your own twilight.

as though it were your own vanishing song.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess what I've had to do?  I have had to designate books to one room, mags to another...per my hubby's ranting about me being a bibliophile.  I put the mags at my bedside for two reasons. One, they ar emore manageble there, and two...I usually fall asleep, so mags reading is just enough before I drop off. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Hoping that everything calms down for you soon so you can sit and read some of those books.

Anonymous said...

Breathe! Take a big breath.
I am over whelmed just with your entry.
That three kids to college literally has my knees knocking!!!!
Breaks over...back to stress.
lol

Put a Smile on your face and a song in your heart.

Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~

http://journals.aol.com/paisleyskys/PaisleySkys
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer

Anonymous said...

It sounds incredibly hectic right now and not at all surprising that you're finding no time for walking or reading.  Maybe when all three students are settled and you've fallen into a routine at work you'll be able to find the time?   Have a wonderful trip to Chicago.  Stacy

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you'll be able to find a little bit of time here and there once child #3 (in departure rather than birth order) is duly settled back at school.  Try to take a few minutes for yourself.  Safe travels.  Thank God this child doesn't go to college at Rice!

Anonymous said...

There is a parent on one of the Tulane sites whose daughter had to evacuate Tulane, and now that daughter's twin brother has had  to evacuate his college in Houston!

Anonymous said...

Somehow my reading list gets longer faster than I get them read. good luck.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

There is so much connected with reading a simple book.  And there are so many books!

Thanks for sharing your "library" and for quoting that haunting poem, Robin.  Quite lovely and very reflective, which is so important in the mad scattered rush of what you are currently experiencing.

Hang tuff,

Vicky

Anonymous said...

    I have a stack of books that I bought this summer that I haven't got to yet. They're in a drawer in my bedroom. I hate to list all those in bookcases that I've bought over the years that I figured I might get to and haven't. At least what is in my drawer are books that I know I will read. Just when, well, that's a good question. I can understand why you're putting things off. God only gave us 24 hours in a day. Apparently you're using 25 or 26. Take care. Don't over do it.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

I really love the loon poem...:)  Robin, you are the busiest person I know.  Take a little time to catch your breath now and then...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

A beautiful poem....
Wow, you sure are busy.
V

Anonymous said...

Hello I'm new here. You have a very interesting journal.

Re: The Templars - the book that first started off my own interst in the subject (and I think Dan Brown's) was The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail - full of mysteriousness!!
Tilly
http://journals.aol.co.uk/tillysweetchops/Adventuresofadesperatelyfathouse/

Anonymous said...

"I don't have a bedside table.  I have a narrow five-shelf bookcase.  "


- Obviously, I'm way behind on my journal reading but I'm catching up now.    I think the bookcase next to your bed is a genius idea and I'm thinking of retiring the aforementioned nightstand.    I think I'll do a journal entry on what's in that pile a bit later in the week.