Friday, September 2, 2005

A Brief Update

Baton Rouge, Louisiana *** 9/2/05

My husband and sons took my daughter to New Orleans for her Saturday Tulane University orientation.  They moved up to Baton Rouge (a 90-mile (?) drive that took six hours) that night and spent three days with family friends they had never met.  (The photo came today, courtesy of same family.)  They got home Wednesday night and by this afternoon my daughter was enrolled at a college in Oregon -- yes, even further from home than NOLA.  She and I will fly out there on Sunday.  My boys turned 21 yesterday and I'm sorry to say that that landmark was barely registered by their mother.  They went out and bought pizza and champagne and we celebrated very quietly.

Our little saga barely merits a mention.  Neither does the plight of comfortable and dry college students.  But I have to use this space to give credit to the dozens and dozens of colleges and universities that have come forward to offer space to the students displaced from their schools by the hurricane.  In many, if not most, cases, tuition is being waived with the expectation that it has been paid and will stay with the home institution to support the recovery effort.  We have been the beneficiaries of such speedy work, financial generosity, and kindness that tears come to my eyes every time I start to think about it.  My daughter has heard from her new roommate and there are sheets on her bed in Oregon-- a good thing, since her new ones are no doubt mildewing rapidly in Louisiana.

I know that people are doing what they can for those whose lives have been so radically altered by Katrina.  Now we just need to do more.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a devastating tragedy.  I'm glad you are well.
Judith

Anonymous said...

Where is your daughter going to school? We have several wonderful schools here, both state and private. Thank heavens they came through safely even if the luggage didn't do so well. In any case welcome to the Beaver State.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad to here she is safe...

My son Jim started his college years at Georgetown in September of 2001.

His mother and I had a similar experience on 9/11 when we worried whether he was okay -- it is hard enough sending your child away, isn't it?

Wishing you all well.

Neil

Anonymous said...

We had dinner with a dear friend of mine from KY who is in IN for a car show (!) above Ft. W.......with them was a 17 year kid from Memphis who has a friend who is a Soph at Tulane....he too was offered a place at two University's, one in Memphis and Rice. It is wonderful how the universities and colleges around the country are stepping in and helping out. So glad your daughter is okay. Happy B-day to your son's.

Anonymous said...

That's good to know that the university community out there has opened their doors. It will be interesting to hear how your daughter's year goes there, whether she stays there the four years or is ever able to go back to Tulane if they open their doors again in the future.  What a roller coaster for you all.

Anonymous said...

I am so grateful that she is safe and sound and that her education will continue with such a graceful transition.

Anonymous said...

So nice to hear some good news. I hope it's Reed.

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for those who are stepping up to help. I know of at least one college here in FL who is taking in students too. But you're right, there is so much more we all need to do. I'm so glad your daughter is safe. Happy B'day to your son. ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

Her plans are altered but she's one of the lucky ones who's life will go on as generally intended.  Thank god/dess your family is safe....and I know you are relieved to have them home.  It's staggering to contemplate how much has been lost by SO many.  These generous universities are showing the way for us all.  If they can find a way to pass all their paperwork and red tape...and get these students resettled, then there is no excuse for all of us to not find our own way to help.  I'm sure for these desperate people who are suffering....any little bit matters.

Anonymous said...

    I thank God that your daughter and your family is safe. It is wonderful that she can continue with school even if it isn't where she had hoped to go. I am proud of the people stepping up to help, and the institutions that have opened their arms to the victims of Katrina. I just wish we could have helped the people trapped inside New Orleans a lot sooner than we did.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear that your daughter is safe, and thank you for posting this, as it's a ray of hope and light in all the darkness that's on the news these days.

Judi