Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Grand Canyon Sunset 09/06/05

I'll have more to say later, but I wanted to share this image as a reminder of some of the magnificence to be found on the North American continent.  During this time of terrible loss and devastation, we need to focus on our treasures as well as the work ahead.

I've never visited the Grand Canyon and I don't think I've ever flown over it before, either.  But yesterday, en route from delivering my daughter to her second try at college in less than a week, I finally landed a spot in a Southwest Airlines "A" line, which enabled me to choose a perfect seat for photographing my journey from Portland to Sacramento, and then from Sacramento to Colorado before the clouds created an inpenetrable blanket over the Rockies. I've had to work on the photograph a bit to eliminate the effect of airplane window fog and glare, but what you see now is pretty much what I saw last night.

Multiple gifts yesterday: my daughter is happily settled and I've seen vistas I never expected to encounter. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Grand Canyon is truly amazing.  I am determined to go on one of the rafting trips there one of these years.  I saw many grandparents doing that with grandchildren when we visited.  I'm so glad you got your daughter settled and hope she is happy.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful--I love airplane views!  I'm glad you made it out here and back home safely and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip and what she's thinking of the school when she gets settled in. Patty

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful photograph and positive update on your daughter's 2nd transition into college.  Please let us know how she's doing.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic picture. Glad things are working out a little better.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous, and I'm happy to hear that your daughter is settled at college at last.  I can't even imagine how chaotic the past couple of weeks must have been for all of you; I'm glad that things are looking up.

Judi

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful photograph.  I am so glad she's there and getting settled.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate the ability to focus on some of the beauty rather than the devastation.   I listened to the news for a while yesterday but had to turn it off again.   It's a bit like 9/11 - I want to be informed but can only stand so much.    I'll bet the people on the Gulf Coast wish they could turn it off too.

Please promise that you will leave standing on the rim of the Canyon on your list of things to do.    The picture is beautiful but not the same.    It is something you cannot grasp until you are right there.

Anonymous said...

Breathtaking. Saw the Grand Canyon 30 years ago. I remember how small it made everything feel.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!
Sorry, I`ve been sick for 2 weeks. I`ll be back more often.
V

Anonymous said...

It's good to find solace at time like this. I saw the canyon three years ago. The power of water is amazing.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful photographs, Ocean, here and elsewhere in your recent entries.  I have been to the Grand Canyon three times, and it never ceases to amaze and awe me.  Such magnificence, such color, such light and shade, such complexity.  Your picture tells a thousand words and then some.  Thank you for constantly delighting with your art.  And best of luck to your plucky daughter,

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

You need to visit the Grand Canyon.  It is the one "natural wonder" of North America that lives up to, and beyond, its reputation for grandeur.  Hubs has never seen it.  I need to take hime there some day.  Finally got him down to Crater Lake a couple of weeks ago...  Lisa  :-]