Sunday, September 25, 2005

Empty Nest: First Full Day

I wake up at 6:00, a bit too early since I didn't fall asleep until well after 1:00.  I try to go back to sleep: Lamaze breathing, prayer, rambling thoughts.  Nothing works, and I get up at 7:00.  I pull on a Reed College t-shirt, souvenir of God knows how many college trips, and the crumpled jeans I wore in the car all day yesterday, and proceed to waste 20 minutes on the computer before heading out for a walk.  

Walk the 3 miles to Lower Lake.  Hot and muggy; should have foresworn the jeans for soccer shorts.  A few mallards scattered across the lake, a catbird calling in brush that looks suspiciously like a kudzu cousin, cowbirds overhead.  I am in the mood for a Cooper's and I get cowbirds.  Okey dokey.  I use the walking time to think about and pray for my three children, now scattered across the country.  There is a lot to pray for, believe me.   I'm delayed slipping back into the house by a conversation with my neighbor, just back from 12 miles on her bike. Her three children are about 10-15 years ahead of mind -- her oldest used to babysit for my youngest -- and we discuss the joys and frustrations of parenting young adults, whose successes and missteps are so entirely beyond our control.  

Take a bath.  Find khakis and Hawaiian print shirt that will get me through church, work at home this afternoon, and another meeting at church.  Save time since it's too humid to bother with my hair.  

Only a few minutes late to adult ed class, which is a spectacular presentation by our associate pastor's husband , who happens to be a professor of religious studies, on women in the early Jesus movement.  He notes that we have to look for "erasure marks" in the Bible to learn about women in the early, almost pre-church church.  The hints are few and far between and sometimes eradicated, as was the case with the active disciple Junia, whose name was actually changed in the Biblical text to the masculine form of Junius during the European Middle Ages.  Our lecturer runs through the references to the activities of women in the Gospels, in Acts, and in those books attributed to Paul which are believed to have actually been written by Paul.  It's in those early books that Paul refers with gratitude and appreciation to women such as Lydia, clearly a minister in the early church, and reminds us that "in Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, nor free nor slave, nor male nor female, for you are all one."  It's only in the later books, when whoever is writing under Paul's name becomes concerned with establishing the church as an institution along the lines of the Roman Empire ~ which is to say along hierarchical and patriarchal lines ~ that a harsh and rigid attitude toward women becomes apparent, an attitude completely at odds with the one evinced by Jesus and the historical Paul.  

Great music in church  today. Next week it will all be African in celebration of World Communion Sunday.  

Spend the afternoon finishing up a paper for my class, doing laundry, and bringing our bank accounts up to date.  That doesn't mean they have money in them, of course.  

A couple of hours back at church working on Katrina relief -- we are close to being assigned two families to assist, so tonight we got ourselves organized to do that.  I wasn't looking for another family in my life right now, my house having just emptied itself of children, but the only way even to begin to repay all the folks who helped my Tulane freshman daughter is to pass it on, which I'm happy to do.  

Home and the day is over.  My husband has dinner in the oven and West Wing (good tv) and Desperate Housewives (trash tv) are calling.   I can't stand reality tv, or talk shows, or tv comedy, but otherwise I am completely indiscriminate in my viewing. 

Those 50 essays I was supposed to grade this week-end?  Well, think Scarlet O'Hara.          

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure this must be a huge transition for you, but you're doing great. How is your dh dealing with empty-next syndrome?

Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/lici/AWritersAngst

Anonymous said...

It sounds as if you did a good job filling your day up.  

Anonymous said...

You and I were on an identical sleep schedule - I thought it odd to be waking after five hours of sleep myself.    

Your day sounded wonderful.   I wish I could have attended the adult ed presentation.   There is a woman at my church who spends much time researching the same topic -- often she weaves the "erasures" into stories which she presents to help us learn about these wonderful women.    The early church fascinates me as I struggle do discern god-made and man-made in religion.   I need to find some more reading material on the history of the early church.

Anonymous said...

BTW I taped both West Wing and Desp. Housewives this evening.   They were right in the middle of bedtime for the boys.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered West Wing is on Sunday nights now. This is kind of rocking my world...

I want to belong to your church.  If I did, I might rediscover an attraction to organized religion...  Lisa :-]  

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. The UofO game was a late one so we had part of the family here. Granted Brian bunked with his big brother at his campus apartment but we had kids dogs here. Since they're boxers they take up almost as much as room as the boys. LOL guess I'll adopt them as an honorary niece and nephew. Don't watch much current tv. Doesn't mean I don't watch it just that I dip into my collection.

Your adult ed class at church sounds fantastic. I envy you.

Jacie

Anonymous said...

     I find your reference to Paul and later writers extremely interesting. This is an area that I am not as familar with as I should be. It does seem though that women inside the church have been pushed aside. I am Catholic. Although we have a great array of Catholic saints that are women, it still amazes me that women are not allowed to become either priests or deacons. There are quite a number of women I know personally who would do extremely well in either job.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

I've been waking like this a lot lately as well--usually after about 4 hours of sleep sometime between 2:30 and 3:30 a.m.  Middle age I suppose.  Your life is so full with all of your pursuits that I foresee a smooth, almost seamless, transition into the empty nest syndrome.  I envy your many interests and energy level.  Having virtually no knowledge of New Testament teachings or history, I find this topic quite fascinating.  Judaism has so many strong female role models in it.  My dd watched DH but I was too busy helping ds finish up an assignment to watch WW.  I can't wait until our on-demand recorder (similar to TIVO) arrives.

Anonymous said...

How I can relate!  This empty nest syndrome isn't really complete when I have two friends here taking up residence.  I told them that they are on their own, as of October 1st, since I am closing up the house for winter!  They better believe me! :)  Lisa