Saturday, September 3, 2005

Welcome to College -- and Get Outta Town!

We've finally come to understand that the reason the Tulane President held out hope of salvaging a college semester for so long was that he was hunkered down in an athletic center until Thursday.  The campus remained unflooded and in pretty good shape so, without television or internet, he was unaware of the story of devastation unfolding in his city.  I had heard a report that the people "sheltered" in the Superdome were desperate for news -- 1000 miles away, we knew far more than they did about their homes and streets.

My daughter is off to college for the second time tomorrow -- to Willamette in Salem, Oregon.  We visited it last year on our trip to the Pacific Northwest and both loved it.  While she's terribly disappointed and somewhat stunned by this turn of events, she's most likely going to have a great semester in a magnificent part of the country.  She and her new roommate have communicated and it sounds like they're a good match, and the school has cut through all the red tape in record time to welcome her and settle her in classes which have been ongoing for a week.

My last few days have been filled with phone calls and emails to and from colleges, airline reservations (the rising price of oil has had an immediate effect on ticket prices), and replenishing my daughter's wardrobe.  I actually found a pair of size 5 shoes today! -- still too big, but close enough.  I hope to turn my attention to some form of assistance to the Gulf Coast once my own little family crisis is in hand.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Oregon.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Excellent news!  I see glimmers of hope here.
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

It's wonderful that your daughter was so quickly able to make the transition, even though it was a disappointment.
The picture says it all.
Bon & Mal

Anonymous said...

I'm happy for all of you that you have found a college and redirected so quickly.    Best wishes to your dd as she heads west rather than south but nevertheless becomes a college freshman!!

Kathryn

Anonymous said...

What a saga you all have been through! I'm sure it must all seem so surreal. Your daughter sounds like a trooper. She has received an unexpected lesson in flexibility and, literally, "going with the flow."  

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to your daughter on her new path.  
Peace,  Virginia

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear about the swiftness in transitions that you have been able to experience.  Will your daughter ever return to NOLA for school do you think?  Cya, Kris

Anonymous said...

thinking of all of you. judi

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to hear that she's on her way to another college.  Please keep us posted.

Judi

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest, DD!  The weather has been beautiful here...she will love it.  I'm glad she was able to salvage the semester.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

I am SO glad things worked out for your daughter.  What a series of ups and downs for her - and you, too.  I hope she is able to settle in quickly.  This will be a complicated adjustment, but you and she seem to have a wonderful attitude about it.  Good luck to her in Oregon!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Willamette is a beautiful campus!!! Had I furthered my education further than I did, I would have loved to have gone there just for the campus. Many were the times we drove past there. I grew up in Dallas, Oregon, just 15 miles west of Salem. :) Your daughter is definitely in a beautiful part of the state, and from what I read in your other posts, she has been incredibly blessed to be there.

I had been missing you on the Mitford BB and so I thought I'd come catch up with you here! Please come post again.

Pamela