Monday, September 12, 2005

The Timeline See Previous Entry)

I can't seem to transfer my beautiful chart onto my journal, but here's the basic content:

800-500 BCE   Classical Hinduism: Upanishads

560-480 BCE   Life of Siddhartha

400 BCE-200 CE  Medieval Hinduism: Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavad Gita

300s-200s BCE   Buddhism becomes official state religion of India (King Asoka)

6/4 BCE-30 CE   Life of Jesus

27-30 CE   Public MInistry of Jesus and 12 Disciples

34 CE   Conversion of Saul of Tarsus (The Apostle Paul)

46-57 CE   Missionary trips and writings of Paul

49 CE   Council of Jerusalem:  James' determination that Christians do not have to be circumcised or follow Jewish dietary laws

55-100 CE   Christian Gospels (Mark, Matthew, Luke, John) written

100s CE   Development of Mahayana Buddhism

295 CE   Roman Empire divides into Eastern and Western portions

312 CE   Constantine converts to Christianity

325 CE   Council of Nicea:  First Codification of Christian Doctrine

337 CE   Christianity becomes offocial state religion of Rome

500s CE   Buddhism enters Japan

1054 CE   Eastern and Western churches separate; their heads excommunicate each other

1000s CE  Beginning of Crusades

1200s CE  Indian encounters with Islam

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've taught parts of the Ramayana and Hesse's Siddhartha. Today I taught the arrival of the first Christian scop in Gardner's Grendel. Is there hope for me?

Anonymous said...

I wish I could see your beautiful chart too.    I am currently fascinated by early Christian history as I try to separate man-made and god-made in the church.    I wish I could sit in on your history class and see how the eastern religions intertwine.

Anonymous said...

Robin, this looks fascinating - I hope the students appreciate it.  With your wonderful way with words, I am sure they will.  On the other hand, they are middle-schoolers, right???

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

Fantastic!
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMorancoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Great work; I`d love to see the chart!!
V