Thursday, May 6, 2004

Bird Walks

So, okay, these aren't actually walks.  Not the areobic kind anyway, and not even the strolling kind.  These are more like...scavenger hunts.

Last night:  woods full of palm warblers and ruby-crowned kinglets.  Palm warblers bob their tails nonstop and are exhausting to watch.  Drake wood ducks sauntering forth solo, which means that the ladies must be sitting on their eggs.  A bird I didn't recognize, and I have no idea where my bird book is, because I've been dragging it around the house all week.  The Canada geese eggs that I thought had been consumed by snapping turtles or racoons have morphed into six yellow fluffballs, oblivious to the hazards of marsh life.

It took me 1.5 hours to walk 1.5 miles last night.  Hmmm.  Well done.

Walked: 2 miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You walks sound wonderful, aerobic or not!

Anonymous said...

One of the best parts of walking is observing everything around you.  The swallows have returned to our parts.  They have taken residence in the eaves of two houses I pass on my walk.  It is against the law to get rid of their nests after they have been built, so you have to get them very early on or you are stuck.  They look like a swarm of bugs when they fly around.