Wednesday, May 5, 2004

The Creative Life (Baby Steps)

Cemetery Springtime

I titled this journal Unload! because I was hoping to use it as a catalyst for weight loss and healthy living.  I can't say I've had huge successes in those areas; in fact, with the exception of my (almost!) daily walking, I've had close to none.  Not that the walking itself isn't a huge plus.  If my calculations are correct, I've walked 99 miles in the past 35 days (not counting today).  That's something of an improvement over an entire winter of maybe 20 miles total.

More importantly, though, is the creative discipline that my journal is imposing on my life.  Years and years and years ago, when my children were very small, I published several articles (most of them in barely-read publications, but still...). However, as I went back to work and life became more complex, I let my favorite occupations, writing and photography, slide into -- well, into complete nothingness.  Month after month, I charted "writing" and "photography" into my "to do" lists, and month after month as I checked off all the tasks under the kids-family-work-bills-house-errands-church categories, I moved on with barely a glance at the blank spaces under the two categories that I needed to sustain myself.

So, in a big way, I have made progress in healthy living.  Only a season ago, I was a teacher with a procrastination problem, but now I am now a writer who gets out and walks and takes pictures!

Walked: 1.5 miles

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your pictures AND your entries.  Writing everything down helps perspective, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

I am disappointed when I come to your journal and there is no entry.  I am so glad you were able to figure out how to add your pictures to the journal.  The tree today is beautiful, it's one of the things I miss about living in CA - we have scraggly trees here.
I just started something new, I got a pedometer and am going to try walking 10,000 steps daily.  Yesterday I put it on around 1 after I bought it and got about 6000 steps.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are finding your journal to be a catalyst in changing your life, R.! That is such a positive thing. i am thinking of blogging, too, not sure about sharing it, though. I know change within myslef is something that is long overdue, a place to be accountable might be a good thing.

Keep on walking, writing, and clicking!