Saturday, May 29, 2004

Dream Vacation Number 1 Of 500 Or So (Week-end Assignment #7)

Postcard Image

(http://www.gov.nf.ca/tourism/topmenu/gallery/completecard.asp?image=Gros_Morne)

Several years ago, when I was living another life entirely, a well-paid and childless colleague told me that she and her equally well-paid and childless husband just couldn't think of anywhere they wanted to go during their generous vacation time.  Neither money nor family responsibilities presented any barriers to them, but they were going to stay home and play golf at their club every day.

I remain unable to comprehend such a catastrophic failure of imagination.  I could have grabbed that yellow pad from her desk and filled every line (on both sides) with vacation and travel ideas.

It seems that we are limited to one for the week-end assignment, though, so I choose....Newfoundland!  Hiking, views, water, kayaking, whales, sea birds, northern lights  -- I could be on my way tomorrow if someone would like to fund me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't fund you but I would gladly JOIN you!!!

Anonymous said...

It would be fun, wouldn't it, if someday aol could send a group of outdoor enthusiasts off to record someplace wild and wonderful?

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine not being able to think of a place to travel!  What were they thinking?  Newfoundland looks beautiful, I'll have to add it to my long list.

Anonymous said...

That is the ultimate failure of imagination isn't it!  I remember an acquaintance some years back not knowing where to go, and deciding to visit family using frequent flyer miles to bump up to first class . . . But there are so many places to go!  And, on that subject:  Monkey Dances by Dan Glick, a dad and his two kids travel around the world.

Anonymous said...

Thamks for the recommendation!