Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Mbira

(http://www.mbira.org/)

Last year as I walked through the cemetery late one afternoon, a lone man was standing in an empty field, playing Amazing Grace on his bagpipes.

Yesterday as I approached the lake, I could hear an unusual sound drifting through the humid air, and as I got closer, I could see a man rocking back and forth in a lawn chair, playing an instrument that looked like a small xylophone in half a round gourd. He told me that it was a mbira (prounounced just like it's spelled), an instrument from Zimbabwe. I was hoping that he was from Zimbabwe, too, but no such luck.

If you're at all interested in African music, the website is well done.

Walked: 2.5 miles.  The heat is almost intolerable and it's only about 80 degrees. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How interesting.  I wonder how he learned to play the Mbira?