Monday, May 17, 2004

Misery

 

You know how all the weight loss stories in magazines make it sound so easy?  "Oh, la-di-dah, I just stopped eating things that were bad for me and started eating vegies and chicken and voila! I've lost 40 pounds"?

This is not going to be one of those sagas.  This is going to be more along the lines of the one told by some celebrity (Ha! I did pay attention to a celebrity -- but I have no recollection of whom she was) who said that losing a significant amount of weight was the most difficult undertaking of her life.

I long for a Milky Way.  Not because I'm hungry -- no, I'm aware that my eating problems are 100% related to my emotions -- and not because I eat Milky Ways all day.  I just want a Milky Way, and have for about 22 hours now, because I can't have one.

I already feel completely depleted of energy.  I had to go to a meeting last night at 6:00 p.m., and by 6:45 I was almost nonfunctional.  People kept looking at me, waiting for my scintillating contributions, and what came our of my mouth was either gibberish or, "Whatever you want; I don't care."

I woke up with excruciating headaches at 3:00 a.m. and 5:30 a.m.

I am hoping all this is simply my body transitioning from sugar-dependence to protein-dependence.  What ever is going on, I do feel that my source of physical and mental well-being is lost and that I am going to have to find a different kind of energy to rely on if I am going to survive the next few days.

Walked: 3 miles.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can do it!!  Make sure you get enough water, I notice I always am better able to function if I keep myself hydrated.  You won't necessarily feel satisfied and full but you will get up and go to the bathroom quite a bit.  

Anonymous said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry!  I can't imagine how frustrated you must be.  If I walked all those miles I'd want some results!  Are you on medication of any sort that would make it more difficult to lose weight?  Have you had your thyroid checked out?  Pamela

Anonymous said...

I imagine the headaches and tiredness are part of adjusting to the new diet.  I get "diet headaches" too and have never been able to figure out what causes them...  maybe the stress of not eating.  I agree the magazines make it sound so easy... just change your eating habits and off it comes.  Nope!  Change your eating habits, eat only very small quantities, prepare nice meals for your family but don't eat them, ignore your cravings for something other than fish, chicken, eggs and vegetables and then, if you can stick to it for a long time, you really will see results.  And then it'll be worth it.  On a minute by minute basis it's hard.  Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Weight loss is tough!   Candy bars,  I can skip those though because they have trans fat and that is the worse thing you can do to your heart.
I still crave them but I read the labels because high cholesterol is not a good thing.