Sunday, May 16, 2004

South Beach

Common yellowthroat (saw one this morning)  (www.nps.gov/.../ birds/Common_Yellowthroat.html)

 

OK, here I go. 

Despite having averaged about 3 miles a day of walking since I began this journal, my weight hasn't budged.  I'm relieved, of course, that I haven't added any -- I probably gained 5 pounds over the winter and I certainly didn't want to continue in that direction.  But I'd sure like to see some significant movement downward.

A couple with whom we are best friends has been following the South Beach diet for several weeks, and they've each lost about 20 pounds.  She assures me that she doesn't feel the least bit deprived, but then she has, shall we say, a far more perfectionist streak than I do, and endless patience and attentiveness to detail.  And she enjoys cooking,  Since we have virtually no personality traits in common, I imagine that my experience will differ somewhat from hers.  She looks great, by the way.  I haven't seen her husband since they got started.

He happened to answer the phone last night.

"So," I said, "I hear you're really skinny!"

"I should be a lot skinnier," he said.  "I feel like a rabbit.  Salad for lunch, salad for dinner."

I think he's having a little bit of a harder time.  But he says it's an easy diet to follow.

"I should think so," I responded.  "I just sent myself an email listing all the things I can't eat for the next two weeks.  No bread, rice, potatoes, sugar, cake, cookies, baked goods, cereal -- in other words, you simply stop eating for two weeks."

I'm off to my fabulous breakfast of poached eggs.  With no toast.

And I'm still going to post springtime pictures.  The last thing I want is to look at pictures of meals with no white in them.

Walked: 4.5 miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope it works for you Robin.  I wish weight weren't such a struggle.  It seems like it occupies minds way too much.  That said, I have to get ready to head to Weight Watchers in a few.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed.... 20lbs in just a number of weeks.  Keep us posted as to how it works for you.