Thursday, May 27, 2004

Jefferson Airplane and Blogging

I know; the title doesn't make sense.  Just hang in there....

I have, unfortunately, disovered Paint Shop Pro.  I mean, really discovered it.  This is already such a problem.  It is way too fun, and I still have three weeks of school to teach and piles of papers to grade and 35 presentations to get through...and I just wanna play!

So, for those of you who remember the 60s, doesn't the following version of the allium photo from a couple of days ago remind you of posters from the Fillmore? 

As for blogging, the New York Times article this morning (www.nytimes.com)  was interesting.  John Scalzi's criticism(http://journals.aol.com/johnmscalzi/bytheway/) is legit: people have always, through centuries of letter writing (Remember that?  Fountain pens, stationary, stamps?) written for limited audiences, often even audiences of one.  So it hardly makes sense to crtitize bloggers for writing stuff that hardly anyone reads.

On the other hand, the article makes note of a real issue: addictions which are also and probably by definition time-wasters.  I have a full life, with kids and extended family and work and church and lots of friends and acquaintances, so my online life is just one other part of the whole.  But is is a really fun and intriguing part and it is definitely addictive.  Especially this journaling stuff -- I have my own and about 10 others already that I follow regularly.  I can see that I'm going to have to start scheduling myself the same way I have to do most other things: an hour to walk, an hour to grade papers, 30 minutes to pay bills, 10 hours to play online, an hour to make dinner... .  You get my drift.

Hey!  If anyone is actually reading this today, let me know -- just hit the comment button and say "hi."

Walked: 3miles.

Walked this past week: 15.5 miles.

 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL   I'm out here and I read it.    The picture does look like something from a Fillmore poster - very cool but you're dating yourself.    

Anonymous said...

LOL...Hi!  I have the addiction...I admit it.  Don't forget to schedule in your Paint Shop Pro time!!!
:)

Anonymous said...

I haven't figured out paint shop pro (yet) but isn't it funny how computer creativity only goes as far as your knowlege of how to operate the darn thing - it doesn't come naturally like drawing/painting  might.  It is a fun medium tho :-)  

Anonymous said...

Cool picture.  I don't think I have Paint Shop Pro on my computer.  Please make some more creations in the future for us to enjoy.

Anonymous said...

I'm addicted.  We have Paint Shop Pro but I haven't played with it too much, then again my pictures aren't as nice as yours.   Three more weeks to go . . . . woohoo!!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I enjoyed the NYT blog article.

Anonymous said...

Hi Robin! I read you almost every day. I've been trying to do better finding time to write in my blog, but so far I'm not having too much success.

Anonymous said...

Ok,
Hi :)
Also, I do remember the posters from the Fillmore and actually saw the exhibit of them at a San Diego art museum a few years ago. Yours defintiely could be one of them!  Don't you wonder what those posters would be like now with all the added features we now have (like Paint shop)?
Now I have to go read the strticle you linked......

Anonymous said...

read the posting Robin; I think with all these new things we're discovering we enjoy, we should be entitled to more hours in a day!   Your photographs are so beautiful ~ are you using a digital camera?    I am taking time to catch up on reading journals tonight, hope to have time to write again once school is out.  

Anonymous said...

Your blog is something you do for you. It is your meditation, if you will. It's the reading of other blogs that becomes a time waster of sorts. It's so fascinating, though! I know whereof I speak, it is 11 a.m. and I am sitting here still in my jammies, catching up after a long weekend away!