Monday, May 24, 2004

South Beach Failure

Yes, that one was a disaster.  The headaches, the intestinal upsets, the cravings, and the total of one pound lost in 5 days -- no, South Beach wasn't for me.

South Beach looks and sounds sensible and easy.  But it does require some significant changes, all of which clearly have systemic ramifications.  And, more importantly, it doesn't address the emotional issues connected with overeating.

Back to Weight Watchers.  I paid to join online at the beginning of the year, and then competelly ignored it as a resource.  One of my friends is going to meetings, and she looks fantastic. To be completely honest, though, I'm not sure if it's the Weight Watchers or the new man in her life.

Walked: 3 early morning miles - despite another middle-of-the-night dog panic.  Enduring these thunderstorms with the dog night after night is like enduring the first few weeks with a new baby.  The difference is that a baby lying next to you in bed is much sweeter than a frantic, panting, wriggling dog.

P.S.  Y'all should read  Pooh's Adventures in Japan today.  The Anne Frank entry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear the South Beach Diet didn't work out...   all those side effects and only a one lb loss would be discouraging!  As far as the Weight Watcher meetings vs the new man as the reason for your friend's weight loss success, I'd bet on the new man.  Nothing like being caught up in a new love to kill your appetite and fuel the desire to look good.  

Anonymous said...

Good luck with WW.  It really does work if you "follow the program".  I think it will be easier if you're going with a friend also.  

Anonymous said...

I wish we lived in the same city so we could go to WW together.  I really need someone to partner with on something like that.  I know how hard you are trying all your different options.  I'm sure you'll figure it out!  Does your husband do these diets with you?  I think that would make it much easier.  Pamela

Anonymous said...

I had great success with WW and exercise.  I do believe that walking is key.  Make sure you stay at the meetings. You can do it!

Anonymous said...

DEFINITELY stick with the WW, if you can.  Husband and I started going to meetings January 20.  To date, I have lost 30#, husband 38#.  I am done now--hit my goal.  I just have to maintain for 6 weeks to become "lifetime."  Husband has about 20-25 more lbs to lose.  But we have had great success.  There WILL be some intestinal "grumblings..."  They encourage you to consume fiber, and if your body isn't used to it, you, well...you fart a lot  (LOL!)  And the first month is always the hardest...you will only lose 1-2 lbs a week.  But multiply that by a couple of months, and suddenly, you're lovin' it!  Good luck!

Thanks for stopping by my journal (Coming to terms with middle age) and leaving the nice comment.  I will be back!  Lisa  :-]