Saturday, May 15, 2004

Great Places to Walk #3: Cemetery

 

I have lived in the same house for more than two decades, but I didn't disover the historic cemetery nearby until a few years ago.  Oh, I had been there from time to time, mostly to take the kids to visit an enormous historic monument to a former president, but I had no idea how many other treasures were hidden inside the gates. 

Roads and paths meander over nearly 300 acres maintained as an arboretum, in which over 90,000 people are buried.  The cemetery is adjacent to Little Italy, whose stone masons carved hundreds of intricate sculptures.  Many of them mark the graves of well known citizens, while others bear names that few would recognize today.

The sculpture pictured above is one of the most photographed in the cemetery.  It seems to draw all kinds of people -- I'm sure that some are local art students, but others look more like me: they simply find it irresistible.

Walked: 1 mile.  I got up at 5:30 a.m. to finish a paper and tried to take a nap in the afternoon.  The paper got finished but the nap didn't, so I have been tired and out of it and just couldn't manage a real walk.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great place to walk and investigate.  That sculpture is beautiful but it looks kind of eery also.

Anonymous said...

very cool!  I plan to be cremated, but if I were in a cemetery, I'd want a huge monument of some sort.  Maybe a gargoyle....  Pamela