Monday, October 4, 2004

Childhood Friends: Book Review No. 5

Today, according to The Writer's Almanac, is the birthday of Edward L. Stratemeyer, born in 1862.  He created The Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew series, among others.  He wrote few of the books himself, parceling the majority out to a band of ghostwriters employed by his biggest creation, The Stratemeyer Syndicate.   I gather that something of a scandal erupted when the documents produced in a lawsuit eventually revealed that Laura Lee Hope and Carolyn Keene, two of my favorite writers, didn't actually exist.

 It doesn't matter to me who wrote the books.  Neither series was a shining pinnacle of literary achievement.  But Nan and Bert and Freddie and Flossie were among my best childhood friends.  Like mine, their lives seemed ordinary in the extreme -- and yet they found so much adventure lurking in the most mundane of situations!  When I was eight and we spent just a couple of weeks in Florida, I walked the two blocks to the bookstore every morning and laid down my dollar for another Bobbsey Twin book, which I would devour in the next couple of hours.  They were as addictive as online journals are today.

Try as I might, I could never muster up any mystery in my grandmother's attic, or behind her old dog pen, or in my small town's dilapidated hotel, circa 1900.  That I never gave up hope is thanks to Nancy, Girl Sleuth, and her girlfriends Bess and George.  Nancy was the example par excellence for a girl without a mother -- no need for one as

 she and her friends raced from one triumph to another in George's little roadster.  Her bemused father and devoted boyfriend stayed in the background, where they belonged, while Nancy's curiosity and genius blossomed.  

I don't know much about The Stratemeyer Syndicate, but I hope that the real writers made a decent living.  They certainly sparked a lifetime passion for reading in generations of children.  

Walked: 1 mile.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was a Nancy Drew fanatic when I was a little girl & was constantly in search of mystery! One of my prized possessions is my Nancy Drew library:)

Anonymous said...

I loved the Bobbsey Twins and Nancy Drew books!  They are both childhood favorites along with The Happy Hollisters and Trixie Belden books.  

Anonymous said...

I loved the Bobbsey's and Nancy, too. I always remember "If at first you don't succeed, fry, fry a hen". I think Freddie was supposed to memorize the correct version for school and Bert taught him the goofy version, which he recited in class by accident. Silly the things that stick in your mind for almost 40 years.

Anonymous said...

What!  I have begun (at least I thought) a quest to find the first editions of Nancy Drew!  I thought they were dated....let's ee, in the 1930's, he would have been in his 70's!!! I have only located the "number 2" The Hidden Staircase...$35.  I need to do more research!

Anonymous said...

I read these books when I was young, they have them in Dutch too :-)

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

I adored Nancy Drew myself...also Trixie Beldon..my girls like them as well as the Boxcar Children and Anne of Green Gables...