Friday, October 8, 2004

This 'n That

 So...I'm walking again.  What a bummer, to have lost almost my entire Sukkot break to whatever that awful virus was.  But, thanks to Vivian, I have a Halloween skeleton to motivate me.  Vivian, by the way, has suffered a disastrous break-in, and there is a movement afoot to help replace her graphics collection, which unfortunately departed with her computer. 

I'm happy to report that the dog is much improved; she walked with me today.  Whatever happened to her leg was surely painful, as she has spent most of the last two weeks moping on the couch.  But she was her bouyant self this morning, trotting along and plunging into the lake for an occasional drink.  She's out sunning on the back porch now, recovering from a much needed bath.

I see that the gentleman who writes about Richards' Bend is an Editor's Pick this week.  I've been following this lyrical journal for some time, and it raised an interesting question yesterday: Would you really want to live as he does?  We've all read Walden and we all -- well, most of us anyway -- have too much stuff, so there's a certain appeal to getting off the grid and back to the woods.  But how far would you really be willing to go?  I find that in all honesty my own Laura Ingalls Wilder days are definitely over.

AOL has lately taken to bumping me off without notice, so I'm going to go ahead and save this and come back to add the links.  Then I'm going to run some errands and THEN I'm going to grade more papers.  Lucky me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also read Richard's Bend journal from time to time and I would NOT want to live that way, much as I admire him for doing so.  I do not like roughing it, have never so much as gone camping, and would not want to give up all the modern conveniences that I'm quite happy to have.  

Anonymous said...

I would like to do it to get away and think, write, read....but as a lifestyle, forget it.  I just remember the story about the owl swooping down and grabbing the hair on the head of some poor unsuspecting nature lover!  Yikes and ouch!  But, I love my fellow Kentuckians journal.

Anonymous said...

Oh......I know how the whole grading of papers things goes.......checking for the same old thing over and over again......blah!

Tracy