Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Moon Night

I'm just keeping an eye on the moon, waiting for the eclipse.

My daughter's soccer team lost their tournament game tonight, so high school soccer is now a thing of the past for me.  As I watched tonight, I remembered many other games -- a soccer tournament when she was a very tiny five-year-old and I heard a mom on the opposing team ask whether we had a three-year-old on our team; a soccer game when it was snowing so hard that the girls, who were about ten, all looked like Frosty the Snowgirls as they finally won in overtime; the middle school field hockey game that ended for her with blood all over the field, a trip to the emergency room, and her definitive announcement that field hockey was not her game; and so many fall afternoons with shadows stretching from the blazing trees across the field and a ball sailing across the deep blue sky.

All over tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing how quickly time passes.  Your descriptions of fall afternoons with shadows stretching and blazing trees was wonderful.  You are a very talented writer.

Anonymous said...

One chapter must end for another to begin.

Anonymous said...

awww.... i'm sorry.  you know what a big baby i am about my kids.  i'd be crying if i were there on that soccer field.  your baby is growing up.  Pamela