Saturday, October 9, 2004

For Little Ones: Book Review No. 6

As I've mentioned before, I spent part of my childhood in Vero Beach, Florida, where author Debra Frasier grew up.  Out of the Ocean is her creative and charming tribute to her Atlantic Beach, the same one that I grew up loving.

The text is minimal; the pages of collages are what enchant the reader.  Photographs and cut-paper combine to illustrate the treasures at the water's edge:  shells, sea glass, feathers, egg pouches, water, sunlight, and sand.  A glossary at the end describes each picture in detail: lots of information about sea turtles, beach remnants, and the pull of the moon.

If this book had come out when my children were young enough, I'm sure that I would have read it to them every night.  But it was published in 1998, when my youngest was already turning 11.  So I bought it for myself and my future grandchildren.  I pulled it out a couple of weeks ago when the hurricanes hit and I was checking the Vero paper online every day for pictures of the damage.  It reminded me of the ocean on the days we all want to remember it.

No comments: