Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Abegweit

The Mi'kmaq, who lived on what is now called Prince Edward Island before Europeans arrived, called it Abegweit ("cradled on the waves"). According to legend, the god Glooscap finished painting the beauties of the world and then dipped his brush into a mixture of all the colors and created Abegweit, his favorite island.  http://www.abegweitfirstnations.com/

Abegweit was sighted by Jacques Cartier in 1534 and was probably visited frequently by French and Basque fishermen in the 17th century, but Europeans did not settle there permanently until the second decade of the 18th century.
http://www.gov.pe.ca/infopei/index.php3?number=19671&lang=E

The island appears under the name Île de Saint Jean in Champlain's narrative (1604) and on his map (1632), but that name is probably of earlier origin. After its acquisition by the British in 1759 the island was known as St. John's Island until the name was changed in 1798 to honour Prince Edward, Duke of Kent (1767-1820), father of Queen Victoria, then in command of the British forces at Halifax, Nova Scotia.

The first Europeans to settle Prince Edward Island came from France in 1720 and were quickly joined by a small group of Acadians from Nova Scotia.  Just prior to the beginning of the Seven Years War with France in 1756, the expulsion of nearly 14,000 Acadians from Acadia (Nova Scotia) was begun at Grand Pré on September 10, 1755, and continued for the next deacdes.  Some fled to Prince Edward Island; many went south or were forced back to France.  Some managed to stick it out, and some returned.   By 1800, some 8,000 resilient Acadians were eking out a living in the Maritime provinces, 8,000 were surviving in Québec, and some 10,000 in Louisiana, the latter giving rise to “Cajun culture.”   http://collections.ic.gc.ca/heirloom_series/volume5/258-263.htm

 

Hmmmm...can you tell that I teach history?  I expect to return with a huge pile of materials for adding a week on the Canadian Maritimes to my 8th grade class.  And my daughter, who will travel from the northern land of the Acadians in mid-August to the land of the Cajuns at the end of August, will begin her college career with a real sense of the history of the people among whom she is going to spend four years.

I'm struck as I write this by how the coastal places I love have been home to so much tempestuous history as cultures have crashed against each other.  In St. Augustine, home to the Timucuan, the first Spanish settlement appeared in 1565 and became a battleground among Spain, France, and England. 

(Many Americans are unaware that the oldest continuous European city in the Americas is St. Augustine, not Jamestown or Pl ymouth, just as they are unaware that the oldest continuous city of all in what we now call The United States is Acoma Pueblo.  History is, indeed, written by the victors.)

And for me, personally?  Ahhhhh, a place called "cradled on the waves"  ~  how could I not feel the call?

West Cape

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting links! I don't recall ever hearing the story of the Acadians. I lived close to St. Augustine when I was a child but I don't remember learning that it was the oldest city in the Americas. But, I guess if I had considered the time frame I would have. History is definitely written by the victors but at least there are teachers such as yourself who will hopefully set the record straight for your students.

Have a great trip! :-) ---Robbie

Anonymous said...

We have always thought that the ousting of the Acadians was tragic.
Bon & Mal

Anonymous said...

That`s interesting stuff! Thanks,
V

Anonymous said...

This somewhat tinges the family lore of wonderful Jimmy Buffet.  Seemingly, he would embrace this entry, while he checks in on your wonderful blog!  Acoma is beautiful, as is the other places mentioned.  I am familiar with them all, but could never so eloquently describe and seduce the reader into wanting to go there, as you have while actually teaching them the real history surrounding them.  Thanks for the lesson!  Cya, Kris

Anonymous said...

This was fascinating.  My comment is late because I saved it for a point in time when I wasn't running.

I never put the connection between Acadians and Cajun in the context of your dd who will be making that journey herself in a way that is probably just as life-changing.      Legends intrigue me.    I like to open them up and explore how the imagery directly relates to current science and understanding of the topic.

Enjoy your trip!