Friday, August 26, 2005

Fishing

Great BLue Heron  *****  Northport Harbor, Prince Edward Island

Prince Edward Island is a low key kind of place.  In fact, it might just define "low key."  Life on the Island, for both people and birds, is nothing remotely like life here.

I've just finished a week of teacher events and preparations for school, which begins on Monday, and the intensity of our meetings has left no doubt that summer is behind us.  I'm not sure why this year feels so much more frenetic and demanding than the last few but, fow whatever reason, the administration and department chairs seem positively driven.

As I write this, the rest of my family is headed straight for the hurricane, which itself seems to be headed straight for New Orleans, where Tulane University is supposedly hosting freshman orientation for the next few days.  I suppose that if the university decides to evacuate itself, my daughter will experience an orientation to remember forever. 

So I'm kind of tense and kind of lonely.  Last night I dealt with myself by scrubbing down the bathroom at 11:00 p.m.  And I continue to be so lucky -- I have a whirlwind of papers tumbling off the dining room table to deal with, so I can stay busy well past midnight if I so choose.

Of course, I can always hone my procrastination skills by catching up on journals.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

{{{}}}} I hope your daughter has an orientation she will always remember but not for the reason you are worried about.

Anonymous said...

I know that bird!!
First time I ever seen him I took lots of photos, was so thrilled!
Then found out he was eating all the sock fish I had just bought for our pond...dah!
I hope you find something interesting to fill your time this evening...
Thanks for all your visits.
I enjoy them very much.
Your journal is always so interesting...
Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~

http://journals.aol.com/paisleyskys/PaisleySkys
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer

Anonymous said...

Beautiful picture.   These birds are fairly common around here but I'm always very excited to see one.

It is nice when nervous energy translates into something useful like cleaning.     I'm glad some of it turned into a journal update.    Hopefully, Katrina will turn north soon and miss New Orleans completely.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Robin.  I'm sure this will be a big adjustment for you having your baby gone.  Be good to yourself :-)  Pamela

Anonymous said...

Such a change of pace would leave me completely bent out of shape.  I hope Katrina is kind to all, and that New Orleans only gets a little soggy, not swamped.

Anonymous said...

     We faired Katrina pretty well here in South Florida even though there were some electric outages, moderate property damage and sadly 6 lives lost ... thinking of those still in her path.
    My Dad lives in New Orleans so I am with you hoping that they do not get a direct hit, being below sea level makes a catigory 4 hurricane a huge threat!  
     Nice that we have J-land to depend n at times when we are feeling a little lonely. Love the photo by the way, e3ven though that guy's cousin cleaned my gold fish pond out this summer ... large Koi and gold fish that had been living happily in my backyard for years. Grrrrr ......
   
                                                           *** Coy ***

http://journals.aol.com/coy1234787/Dancingintherain

Anonymous said...

Ya know, sleep also works wonders for me when it comes to procrastination.  Beautiful picture!
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos. We hope Katrina will be kind, but chances seem slim.
Bon & Mal

Anonymous said...

That's a gorgeous photo, and btw, I strongly believe in honing procrastination skills!  I have to admit I got a bit weepy the night before I left Mike at UA, but he put everything into perspective by saying, "Hey Mom, I know you're not tearing up at the thought of me being away from you; it's just that you still have to deal with Chris (his twin brother, who's taking a year off and staying in Dallas)...um, from the mouths of babes, and all that...

Judi

Anonymous said...

I don't know what I like better, the perfect detail, the colors, or the Monet reflection.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible a Heron could have been in the little pond behind out house yesterday early morning?  While I was walking Winnie I saw a big bird in there from far away and it looked similar to this.  Hmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

...and what a beautiful Heron he is!  Great photo.  My brother graduated from Tulane.  I hope your family is safe during Katrina's visit.