Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I Don't Understand Why We're Not Teaching Alchemy in Science Class

I just told Marigolds over at The Blue Voice that I thought Time Magazine is making too big a deal out of idea that people can believe in God and in the science of evolution. 

Maybe I'm completely wrong, though.  I don't think I know anyone well who sees a conflict between the two. And my children have been blessed with science teachers in both public and private schools who simply do not countenance discussion of creationism or intellient design in science classes.

On the other hand, our state school board has introduced some idiocy about intelligent design into the state standards, thereby rendering our already dismal overall school record even less competitve in the context of the worldwide community.  And I do know a couple of people in real life, and have come across many more online, who are under the misapprehension that the magnificent poetry and mythology of Genesis I is reducible to a third grade science text.

So maybe I should be more concerned.  Herewith, the best cartoon I've seen on the topic today:

Fundamentalist Theocracy

Teach_both_theories

I do recall discussing Nathaniel Hawthorne's "The Alchemist" in American Lit in college.  It's clear that we need to move that discussion into high school Chem so that the kiddies can waste time debating the relative merits of turning base metals into gold as opposed to learning the science of chemistry.  I'm sure one is a good as another.  After all, no less a personage than our fearless and Yale-educated Commander in Chief has noted that "part of education is to expose people to different schools of thought."

P.S.  I finally got the Time Magazine story to open.  It includes the following vignette:

"Sometime in the late fall, unless a federal court intervenes, ninth-graders at the public high school in rural Dover, Pa., will witness an unusual scene in biology class. The superintendent of schools, Richard Nilsen,will enter the classroom to read a three-paragraph statement mandated by the local school board as a cautionary preamble to the study of evolution. It reads, in part:

Because Darwin's theory is a theory, it is still being tested as new evidence is discovered. The theory is not a fact. Gaps in the theory exist for which there is no evidence ... Intelligent design is an explanation of the origin of life that differs from Darwin's view. The reference book Of Pandas and People is available for students to see if they would like to explore this view ... As is true with any theory, students are encouraged to keep an open mind."

OK, maybe I am about to develop some serious concern.  If our school board mandated the reading of that drivel, I would personally lead the next election charge against them.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Insanity is running rampant.
Bon & Mal

Anonymous said...

    Excuse me. Making children learn something as basic as evolution will make all of us burn in HELL!
    Give me a break. I'm tired of resumeably intelligent adults making something out of this that shouldn't be. Intelligent Design are buzz words for religion and nothing more. Even the 30 seconds it would take to read that preamble could be better used for something that isn't unconstitutional.
    It's taken me a while to find your blog, and I'm glad I finally did. Thank you for your comments in mine.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle

Anonymous said...

Even here in the sticks right by the buckle of the Bible Belt, in a state consistently ranked near the bottom with education funding, I know few people who have trouble seeing a religious conflict between the Biblical creation stories and believing in evolution.  I fear the people who are so adamant that their beliefs must be taught formally in secular schools, and I wonder why they need their faith shored up by governmental approval.

Anonymous said...

Do our children REALLY need to understand all this?
I think that maybe we could focus more on what they need today to prepare them for the world tomorrow. They will find themselves right with most of the rest of us soon enough ...trying to understand Faith and Science of man.
Can't we continue sticking to the facts of what has been tested and we know works and leave all the IN THEORY classes for college by choice?
Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~

http://journals.aol.com/paisleyskys/PaisleySkys
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer

Anonymous said...

I have believed for a long time that science tries to answer how, faith tries to answer why.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

That`s a great cartoon!
V

Anonymous said...

Sigh. Just another argument for homeschooling.

I read my children creation myths from many cultures--biblical, Native American, South American....

Anonymous said...

The science department head at my school is a member of the Church of the Nazarene. She crosses out chapter titles that support evolution in the teacher's editions of the science texts. This is in MASSACHUSETTS.

Anonymous said...

Love the comic!

If they want to attack evolution as "only a theory"... can we also attack gravity... that is "only a theory" as well?!?!

Peace,  Virginia

Anonymous said...

I honestly think that all this Christian revival crap in our society today is directly attributable to 9/11.  The attacks came out of the blue and shocked the American people to the depths of their bones.  (Though, if our news media had been doing their jobs, we undoubtedly would not have been nearly so shocked...)  Uninformed, frightened people can easily be led to think that the 9/11 attacks were a "Sodom and Gomorrah"-type punishment from God.  People are all too willing to give "God" the benefit of the doubt these days, and try to pacify Him by dragging Him back into the forefront of our society.  Unfortunately, this also has the effect of dragging our society backwards a couple of hundred years...  Let's hope the witch trials are not the next thing to be revived by the religious zealots.  Lisa  :-]  

Anonymous said...

After checking some entries on the net about pandas and people I think tme members of any school district could get the person who authorized the purchse of the book for misappropriation of funds.

The glory of this country is its reputation for tolerance. However, I'm beginning to feel very intolerant of the folks who push this drivel and one, ask me to pay for it and two try to shove it down the throats of my school age nephews. Guess my grumpy genes just kicked in again. :-)

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Valuable resource of relevant news summaries: http://www.ng2000.com/fw.php?tp=alchemy