Sunday, August 28, 2005

Katrina Update

My family is more or less safely ensconced with friends in Baton Rouge -- my father's high school roommate lives there and, thankfully, he and his wife epitomize southern hospitality.  Their college senior grandson is in town with a friend, so there are other young people for the kids to hang out with, and they are at his house now, helping to move stuff indoors and do what they can to secure property against the winds and rains.  Phone service is erratic at best, so I may not know more until -- well, until I know more.

And yes, Paul, I am glued to the weather channel.  I do now know a lot more about barometric pressure and cities located below sea level than I did yesterday. 

My husband and one son are kind of itching to leave, but have concluded that there isn't much point -- they could only drive west, the opposite direction from home, and only at about 25 mph.  I think they should stay and see where the hurricane hits -- it's possible that the college will close for weeks or months and they will need to go back and retrieve what they unloaded yesterday.  (No, I have no idea why they unloaded anything at all.  Irrepressible human optimism, I guess.)

If you're still reading, I sure wish you'd scroll down and take a peek at my heron photo.  I hope that his southern relatives have moved to a safer haven than the Gulf of Mexico.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to know you are all safe. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Glad your family are out of New Orleans. Praying for their safety. We are part of the cone of devastation too. We live by the Florida-Alabama border, two hours from NO. We're packed and ready go...

Anonymous said...

How unnerving for you. But I'm glad your dh and ds are staying with your daughter. Hopefully, this thing will lose steam before it hits land.

Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/lici/AWritersAngst

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad they found a haven. Baton Rouge will be no picnic, but should at least be safe.
Time to hunker down, and be of help to their hosts.

Anonymous said...

It's unbelievable what they are talking about may happen to New Orleans.  Now we all hurry up and wait.

Anonymous said...

Courage & Blessings~schtay the High & Dry...
And, Yes, that's a b'ful Heron>> lata

Anonymous said...

I'm glad they're all settled somewhere.  Now we wait.  It has to be terrifying for the people down there.  It's hard to imagine.

Anonymous said...

I wish them well.     It is excruciating to watch it happen in slow motion on the telly.     All of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that they're safely ensconced with friends so that they aren't riding this out alone.  Most of my relatives left but, as of this morning, my aunt was staying.  I hope she came to her senses.  I can only imagine how these residents must be feeling waiting for the worst, praying for the best, and not knowing.  My heart breaks for all of these people.

Anonymous said...

Geez - that's a relief - but still, this is something you could definitely do without.  Your momma heart must still be beating fast.  Thinking of you,

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/

Anonymous said...

    Good luck to you and all your family. You're in my prayers.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/jMoranCoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Keeping you and yours in good thoughts.