Monday, August 29, 2005

A Day

My school opened today.  Exhausting.  The administration insists on opening "orientation" days with 15 minute classes -- barely enough time to toss the books at the kids and say, "Oh yeah, if you don't know me, I'm Ms. C."  The kids are mostly lost and the teachers are mostly frazzled. 

My own grad school class started tonight.  It's actually an undergraduate class with a few of us old folks in there -- but it's the one chance this year to study Ignatian Spirituality under one of the world's foremost experts and most gracious of men.  Let's just say that undergraduates have a whole different level of energy as night falls than their -- ahem -- elders do!

Meanwhile, my mind and heart have been in Louisiana today.  My family in Baton Rouge lost power this afternoon, so I told them to call back about now, after I would have had a chance to catch up on the internet and Weather Channel, so that I can tell them what's going on where they are.  I was particularly taken with these portions of a CNN.com report:

<<A public health expert said New Orleans residents who return to their homes would face "a wilderness" without power and drinking water that will be infested with poisonous snakes and fire ants.

"We would really encourage people not to come back for at least a week," said Ivor van Heerden, deputy director of the Louisiana State University Hurricane Center and director of the Center for the Study of Public Health Impacts of Hurricanes in Baton Rouge.

Van Heerden ticked off the problems anyone returning to the city would find: "no sewage, no drinking water, contamination, threat of rapid increase in mosquitoes, roads are impassible, downed power lines everywhere, trees, debris from houses in the roads, no way to go shopping, no gas."

The water also has dislodged fire ants and thousands of snakes -- including poisonous water moccasins -- from their homes.

"If you came back, you would be coming literally to a wilderness," he said. "Stay where you are, be comfortable; nothing's going to change. If your house is gone, it's gone. If you come back in a day or a week, it's not going to make any difference.">>

If you are so inclined, this would be a good time to make a donation to the Red Cross.  My family will be able to come home eventually to a house with roof, plumbing, and sewer system intact, but many, many folks have not been so lucky.

In the meantime, a look at a moment in less traumatic waters:

Sanderling, Cavendish Beach, Prince Edward Island

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish them well and am very happy to hear that despite power loss, they are safe.    What a mess!     They will be years cleaning this up despite the fact that New Orleans was quite lucky due to the last minute turn of the storm.

Ewwwww about the snakes and fire ants.    Ewwwww.

Anonymous said...

What a disaster this storm has caused.  I simply can't imagine the conditions and the number of people effected by this.  Glad your family had a place to stay.  Stacy

Anonymous said...

So glad your family was safe. The class sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear your family is OK. We only had the catagory 1 here in FL, but that was enough for me. I hope everyone is safe & recovers quickly from this horrible storm. ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

good luck with ALL your classes.... You and all your family have been in my thoughts. love, judi

Anonymous said...

It is horrifying!
I thought about you and yours most the day yesterday.
I haven't been able to get through to my niece but I know she is ok.
Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~

http://journals.aol.com/paisleyskys/PaisleySkys
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer

Anonymous said...

I can't help but cry when I see the live feeds coming from Louisiana and Mississipi. We were there last year with Ivan and I do not wish it on anybody. I hope your family will make it home soon. I am happy that they have a way of getting in touch with you.

Anonymous said...

Yours are safe, that's the important thing. I wonder how Tulane withstood the onslaught.

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe we're back at it again.  I pray it will be easier, knowing it won't be.