Friday, August 19, 2005

Greetings from the Maritimes

The sun streams across the Halifax Harbor below us as a cargo ship starts across the water.  The Citadel stands quietly behind us, its bagpipes silenced until the tourists arrive in a few hours.  Tonight the city will bustle with music and crowds under a full moon, but for now its deserted streets call me for a walk.  The birthday girl, eighteen since 2:01 a.m., sleeps soundly in this luxury executive suite that we acquired quite by accident, thanks to an on-time arrival before our own room was ready. 

It's been an exhilarating week: walks along red-beach coastlines and lupine-strewn dunes, kayaking with cormorants, meanderings through charming cities, boating to an uninhabited island, soaking up history and natural beauty.  I will be inundating this journal with images of lighthouses and beaches for deacdes to come!

 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds Lovely!  Happy Birthday to your Baby :-)  Pamela

Anonymous said...

I look forward to those images of beaches and lighthouses.    It sounds perfect.    Happy Birthday to your dd!!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see all the photos.  What a wonderful trip... you describe it so well!  Stacy

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Pics, please!!
V

Anonymous said...

We hope you have a very enjoyable stay.
Bon & Mal

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a memorable b'day. Glad you are having fun! ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

I cn hardly wait to hear more.

Anonymous said...

     I'll be looking forward to the pictures. I just wish I had vacation time left so I could visit your area.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle/MyWay

Anonymous said...

Living your vacation vicariously...  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Sounds absolutely timeless...I wait with anticipation! Cant wait to see!
Jodi
http://journals.aol.com/jouell3935/Haveyoulostyourmind
http://journals.aol.com/jouell3935/Messages/

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to all the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the lighthouses and beaches.  Love 'em!  (One of my favorite places is Cape Cod.)  Happy b'day to the young 'un (old 'un).  Enjoy your time with her.  Relating to our offspring as they grow and mature is one of the greatest gifts we are offered.

Will take some time to read all the entries I have missed, Ocean.  Oh, it's good to be back!

Vicky
http://www.livejournal.com/users/vxv789/32872.html

Anonymous said...

Inundate me! Inundate me!