Saturday, August 27, 2005

Katrina College Orientation

My daughter, with the help of her father and brothers, has just moved into her new dorm room.  Here's how it's going so far:

<<Message regarding university closure:

In response to Hurricane Katrina's shift to the west, Tulane University will close as of 5 p.m. today, August 27. Classes will resume on Thursday, September 1. Tulane employees should report to work on Wednesday, August 31. Essential employees should contact their supervisors immediately regarding their work schedule.

New students arriving on campus for Orientation today should refer to this website for special instructions.

Everyone should begin implementing their personal hurricane plan now. >>

And. . .

<<New first-year students who are arriving on campus today should make plans to leave campus as soon as possible.

If you can leave with your parents today, do so.

If you have friends or relatives with whom you can seek shelter, do so now.

Students who are unable to leave New Orleans should contact their Resident Assistant immediately for university assistance.

No students will be allowed to occupy residence halls after 6 p.m. today.>>

I don't remember this kind of excitement on my own opening day.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. My daughter started at the University of West Florida last year and had to go home three weeks later because of Ivan. She moved back in the dorms last week and she may come home again. They are closing the dorms till Tuesday so I left her a message to call me so we can take her with us if we need to evacuate.

Anonymous said...

Nothin like a smooth start, eh??  I hope that they'll all be ok.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness!!!!!!!!

Aren't you scared???  Wow.

Anonymous said...

Oh my...  Such excitement.  Take cover, batten down the hatches, stay away from the windows and fill washers and bathtubs with fresh drinking water.  Hmmm....  Here we go again...
Hope you all are doing well,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

Thank god she isn't alone!!
Kinda reminds me of when I landed in Germany a day early and no one was there to pick me up!
Exciting but scarey!!
Hang in mom!
Boy the memories she will have....

Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~

http://journals.aol.com/paisleyskys/PaisleySkys
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention...wonder if any new students have the name Katrina!
LOL!

Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~

http://journals.aol.com/paisleyskys/PaisleySkys
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer

Anonymous said...

Holy cow!  Me either!  My first day was one of the loneliest, most heartsick days of my life.  Glad she is safe though. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

Oh my, my orientation was nothing like that either. Hope she's safe. Hope the schools' still there come Thursday. Ah, life in the hurricane belt. Now, orientation for winter term at the U of O might include freezing rain. But that's a whole 'nother story.

Jacke

Anonymous said...

One of my biggest regrets of my 4 years at Tulane was that we never had a hurricane.  The stories of hurricane parties were legendary.  We had one hurricane scare during which we taped our dorm windows but not because the university told us to, rather; because we wanted to so we had something to tell our friends!  The storm hit land somewhere in Texas far far away from our little piece of the world.

Anonymous said...

Thank God her dad is with her. What are they going to do? Such excitement!

Lisa
http://journals.aol.com/lici/AWritersAngst

Anonymous said...

    She's in my prayers.
Jude
http://journals.aol.com/JMoranCoyle

Anonymous said...

Oh my!

Anonymous said...

Wow!  Her first day too.  I'm glad she's safe.
Tami

Anonymous said...

What a first day!  Where are they going?

Anonymous said...

OMG, that's a mom's worst nightmare!  I just got Mike settled at UA and then read, on the web, how Tucson had flooded and helicopters were used to evacuate people trapped by the floodwaters...I was grateful to know that Mike was safely on the 4th floor of his dorm, but I know how I'd have felt had it been otherwise...

Judi

Anonymous said...

Wow! I`m glad her Dad was there!
V

Anonymous said...

oh holy cow. Hello and goodbye. judi

Anonymous said...

Yikes, Robin It's a CAT5 now (I assume you're a weather freak, like me, since we do everything else the same except church). I hope they got out early, got gas and lodging. I don't know where the U. is in New Orleans, but some places are talking two weeks to return. My best to you all.

Anonymous said...

What a welcome!   I hope everyone remains safe.  Sie

Anonymous said...

Hope they have made it to safer ground...  prayer for all.