Monday, August 8, 2005

Good-Bye

This has been a brutal week.

Nate, one of the main characters on Six Feet Under, dead.  I haven't yet seen the past three episodes, all of which apparently shudder under the weight of his sudden demise, but I've been reading about them and will probably be able to pick up a tape tomorrow.  Fiction -- yes, of course,  But those of us obsessed with Six Feet Under and its exploration of death and life know exactly what our English teachers meant when they stressed the value of fictional expression.  (Oh, wait -- sometimes I AM an English teacher; I SHOULD know that, right?)

Twenty Marines from a local unit killed in Iraq.  A seemingly endless series of newspaper articles featuring the faces of very young men and their distraught families.  I am listening to the televised community memorial service as I write.

Kat's sister and nephew, killed in a horrific accident last week and eulogized today.

An elderly friend of mine, husband to a former boss, sort of a Peter Jennings of our locale -- someone whose childhood seemed an unlikely launching pad toward greatness, yet one of the most debonair, brilliant, and modest gentlemen in the city, a man whose contributions to his profession and his adopted hometown are immeasurable.  At least he, at 85, could lay claim to a long and productive life.

And now Mr. Jennings himself.  ABC World News has been my evening news for years.  When he announced his lung cancer diagnosis, two weeks after my stepmother died of the same disease, with a treatment plan that sounded suspiciously like the one she had been encouraged to follow,  I knew that his prognosis had to be dismal.  Several times in recent weeks I've wondered how he was doing.  Now we all know.

I suppose it seems odd that I would have started my litany with Nate Fisher, despite the fact that, chronologically speaking, he died first.  Of course, he didn't really die, any more than Hamlet dies, over and over and over, reminding the audience of the torment that all the real-life stricken survivors must endure.

May all those really gone tonight rest gently and in peace.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was sad to hear that Peter Jennings had passed.
I hate the disease, the beast we call cancer.
When I was told I had cancer my DR. was so sincere.
He said he had made a promise to spend his entire life chasing and destroying Female Cancers. In my case he fought and won.
I hate to think of those who fight and loose.
The suffering is always the same, the hope is always as high that maybe just maybe you can beat those odds.
Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer/

Anonymous said...

{{{{{{{{{{{{{my friend}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} judi

Anonymous said...

My hubby and I are grieving teleland style, the passing of Nate.  Many many prayers for "our boys" and Kat's family have been passed along.  As for Mr. Jennings...we have lost another classy icon.  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

The news has been full of heartbreak lately...  too much and seemingly without sense or reason.  

Anonymous said...

This has truly been a rough week, my dear.
In peace,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

I pray every day that our troops arrive safely home for good and of course for Kat's family.
As for tv-land, I was very shocked to hear about Peter Jennings passing.  Nate Fisher, dead?  I can't believe it.  I was a regular watcher of Six Feet Under until I booted HBO and the show I will miss the most is Queer As Folk.  The Showtime series ending last night.  ::sigh::
Tami

Anonymous said...

It has been a very rough week. Such sadness.

Anonymous said...

I just read that Dana Reeve (Christopher Reeve's widow) has announced SHE has lung cancer.  44 years old.  What is this, an epidemic?  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Very Nice Blog....Very valid points...it just makes you wonder about the world we live in....

Anonymous said...

I love Six Feet Under. I'm going to miss the show when it is gone. It feels like they did not let it run its full gambit.

Funny, I wrote a similar entry as yours here. I even mentioned Six Feet Under and Jennings but mine sounds like one great big whine, which it is, but yours seems more like an honoring of some sort. :-) ---Robbie

Anonymous said...

I have been grieving this week.