Sunday, August 7, 2005

Here and There

The boy is home from Spain, although his suitcase apparently decided to stay an extra couple of days.  He is unsurprised, having become accustomed to the Spanish version of efficiency, which evidently is something of a contradiction in terms.  It's awfully nice to walk into the house and find him here.  Some of his friends came over tonight, but he's too jetlagged to think of joining them for an evening out.

The daughter is house-and-dog sitting for some of our best friends.  I stayed with her last night, as she had a classmate staying over after a very late night at the movies (see below) whose mother expressed concern about the girls spending the night alone.  (Girls who will be in college in three weeks.)  Today she told me that what the mother really expressed was concern about the neighborhood, and she asked me what I thought she might have meant.  I said that it was a "racially diverse" neighborhood and paused long enough for her to think a minute and then nod her head.  "I thought that's what she might have meant," she said.

Sigh.  Those of us who live here are inordinately proud of the multicultural make-up of our city's population, but many of those who live in the suburb from which her friend ventures forth live there for the express purpose of not living here.

Well, in a few days we will leave here for a week. but not for that reason!  The lovely daughter and I are taking a trip to Prince Edward Island.  I've hesitated to say anything in case it doesn't happen, but we're getting close now.  We had hoped to go to Europe but the airfares this summer are OUTRAGEOUS, so we decided on the Canadian Maritimes, a place I've always longed to go to.  We've spent the past few nights watching straight through eight hours of Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea videos to get ready for the walks we are going to take along island shores next week.

I consider MYSELF inordinately lucky -- to have a daughter about to leave for college who can both dress up (God help us all) for the Rocky Horror Picture Show with her friends AND giggle over the misadventures of Anne Shirley, and who WANTS to take a trip with  her creaky old mama.

 PEI

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a really great trip!  Me?  I'm going to the dentist for my cleaning tomorrow.  FUUUUNNNNN.

Anonymous said...

You are going to have so much fun.  I can't wait to hear all about it. Glad your son made it home safely, as I'm sure you are.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like life is perfect for you right now.  My 21-year old son just left for a semester in Germany and I'm already looking forward to the homecoming and seeing his blonde head on the pillow when I peek in his room (at least until he goes back to his home university again).  My daughter, a recent college graduate, is home for a year off to work and apply to grad schools and I'm enjoying feeling closer to her than any time since early high school.  It's such a gift and tribute to you that you and your daughter are close.  
My husband's mother was from PEI and I would so love to visit there!  A funny story--her family brought her to the States when she was 2 years old (this would be 1904).  She proceeded to grow up, marry, raise a family, even work for the state govt.  Retirement came around and suddenly it was somehow discovered she had actually never been naturalized!  Then-Senator Barry Goldwater, a high school classmate and another First Family of Arizona, managed to facilitate things for her, but it was quite a shock!  So anytime we hear Prince Edward Island, that comes to mind.  Thanks for listening.  I start school meetings tomorrow and envy your trip--it will be a delicious dessert ending your summer vacation before you go back to teaching. *debbi*

Anonymous said...

This is shaping up to be a pretty good summer for you, Robin!  Have fun in Canada.

BTW I wouldn't ascribe the concept of luggage arriving after the passenger to "Spanish efficiency."  I've heard that "American efficiency" isn't much superior.  :)  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a great time you`ll have!
V

Anonymous said...

How wonderful~
I am smiling with you.
Wishing you health, happiness and laughter.
TJ~
http://journals.aol.com/vaultofsecrets/MoonDancer/
http://journals.aol.com/paisleyskys/PaisleySkys/

Anonymous said...

Things you need to know:
It's Charl-town, not Charlottetown
It's warm enough to swim at Cavendish: ride horses there, too
Go to the racetrack; it's fun
Nova Scotia and Newfie both have wonderful Celtic music movements; I assume it's happening in PEI too
If you drive out to Point Prim, take it slow around Goose Shit Corner

Anonymous said...

You got yourself a fabulous daughter!  Enjoy your travels and the time you spend with your precious one.
Best,
Judith
http://journals.aol.com/jtuwliens/MirrorMirrorontheWall

Anonymous said...

Have fun. Take a lot of pictures and share us your adventures when you come back...

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to your ds from Spain!     We travelled in Spain for two weeks for our honeymoon and I love so many things about it -- well there is that efficiency thing but once you accept it and go along with it, it's quite relaxing.  

Oh your trip with dd sounds wonderful.     I read all the books and still hope to visit there.     Safe and wonderful travels!

Anonymous said...

Welcome hope - have a wonderful trip! ~ Lori

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip. Have fun! :-) ---Robbie