Saturday, August 21, 2004

Great Walks #4 Continued: Chautauqua

My daughter got her driver's license yesterday, so a walking community looks even better to me this morning!

Alumni Hall, home to classrooms, offices, apartments, and the oldest book club in the nation!  Hanging from the porch are banners from a few of the annual "graduating classes" (since sometime in the 1870s) of people who have read a specified group of books over a four-year period:

One of the banners:

Chapel of the Good Shepherd:

My personal favorite Chautauqua house -  imagine sleeping on that second floor and waking to a view of the lake every morning!

Oh, yeah: Lake Chautauqua:

Walked: 3 miles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK - the second floor would be great but what calls to me is the wrap-around porch.   It looks like a heavenly place to sit at the end of the day discussing whatever wonderful lecture I'd attended earlier.    Bliss....