Sunday, August 8, 2004

Variations on Family

Jukebox Woman has written a touching and, for me, provocative, essay on family.  Her experiences have differed so much from my own that she has given me a lot to ponder.

Reflecting on a recent visit to her family of origin, from which she now lives at a distance, she says, "Being with my family lets me breathe with ease.  It's like sitting on a beach with the breeze from the ocean filling my soul with hope.  It's like finding that important treasure you thought you'd lost forever...but only getting to hold onto it for a short time, before losing it again for a while."  

I have concluded that I am incapable of even imagining such a response to the family from whence I came, although I recognize the feelings.  They are the same ones that I had for many years about the family that my husband and I created, and that I hope will emerge again from the shards of the shattering upheavals of our children's adolescent years.  

I lost my mother at the age of seven.  As Hope Edelman writes in her book Motherless Daughters, most women who have been through such an experience look back at that event as the beginning of the end of their first family.  It would be a gross generalization, but one with some universal truth, to acknowledge that a family dependent upon a father for maintenance of the emotional glue needed to hold it together crumbles quickly, and the subsequent appearance of a stepmother on the horizon sweeps what's left of those crumbs into a dark and forgotten corner.    

I suppose I mark "being on my own" from the date I left for boarding school at the age of twelve.  Although the school was only 20 minutes from my house and most of the girls who lived that close were, in fact, day students, I seldom went home more than once a month.  Three years later I was in a new school, 800 miles away, and after that went home only two or three times a year.  I went to college just as far from home and, although my husband and I eventually returned to my home state for graduate school and careers, geographical proximity does not create or sustain a family connection.  

Most of my friends live far from family. In fact, that's probably a big reason for our close friendships -- we are accustomed to functioning in the absence of extended family, but we want and need a community on which to rely.  Among my friends and acquaintances, many parents and, this year, two husbands, have died. Three of my closest friends have lost both parents in the last several years.  Our children are beginning to spread across the map.  We are well practiced in forming deep connections beyond the bonds of family, and are trying to nurture family attachments that cross longitude and latitude.  

I don't think that it ever occurred to me that anyone beyond my husband and me would be responsible for our children.  That sounds unfair as I write it -- we have been the beneficiaries of great financial generosity and, a few years ago, when our family was plunged into crisis, my father and his then-new wife moved in with us for three weeks and managed everything that I could not.  But as far as day-to-day life is concerned -- it just never entered my head that my family would have much to do with it.  I've been sorry when they haven't been much interested in the lives of my husband, my children, or me, and I've felt envious of other mothers whom I've seen shopping for their children or planning family events with their own mothers, but I never felt particularly lonely or burdened by my responsibilities.  

However, I can see, through Jukebox Woman's writing, how my life might have been quite different, and I do envy her the sense of her own family as sustenance. Perhaps it's just a matter of not missing what you never knew in the first place.  I can't say that I've spent much time wishing I had a mother -- I barely remember mine, so life  without a mother is what I know.  And I've never lived near family as an adult, so that's not something I long for either.  I have, however, been surrounded by close female friends since I first moved into a dorm with a group of them when I was twelve, and I'm not sure I could get along without relationships like that.  And my own children -- well, my need for them is another story altogether.  But I'm getting accustomed to not requiring their geographic presence.  And, although they are at those ages between adolesence and adulthood now where it seems wise to make no predictions whatsoever, I hope that their own sense of our family is strong enough for them to cling to it as a treasure, even if they have to stretch their arms across continents and oceans to do so.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My family of origin is still very much a part of my life but the "being with my family lets me breathe with ease" described by Jukebox Woman could not be farther from my experience -- more like grind my clenched teeth.   I'm not sure why I feel so attached but perhaps moving a lot during my teen years is a big part of it.

This post made me think a lot.   The adolescent to adult years are always interesting, among other adjectives.   Your kids are becoming wonderful young adults and the experiences/roots you have given them will be a great place to grow from.

Anonymous said...

I very much enjoyed this entry though it made me sad.  I can't imagine growing up without a mother or in the impersonal environment of a boarding school at such a young age.  You said you hadn't spent much time wishing you had a mother, but once you were a mother yourself, you must have realized that loss for your child self.  It sounds as if you've worked to build for your own children what you didn't have yourself.      

Anonymous said...

Just so you know, my relationship with my family is not some Walton fairy tale.  In some of my back entries in my journal I have alluded to the fact that my parents are undemonstrative and distant people.  It has taken the whole of my life to realize that I want more from our relationship than what they want from me, but that's ok because I realize that I will never be able to change them into what I need them to be for me.  Instead, I take what I have been given and I think to myself that I want to do better with my family.  I work harder at trying to be the kind of parent that they were not to me which is difficult because they were my teachers and that's all I knew of life until I got married and saw the world differently.  I want for my children what I did not and do not have.  I appreciate family so much more because I am on my own.  They still have my siblings close by and so it's easier to take for granted the importance of our relationships.  I think what I wanted to convey the most in my entry is how even though they were not perfect, I always feel at home when I am with them and how I am always longing to be somewhere near all of them...that family is important to me, even if it might not be to them...

Anonymous said...

You say you did not have that closeness with family, but that you couldn't live without having close female friends.  I, on the other hand, have my family, and NO circle of friends.  I think, on way or the other, everyone has SOME people that they depend upon for emotional support...some group that, when you are with them, you are HOME.  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

It might be the Bev stuff that hss me, not sad, but glad I read your journal tonight.  I was whining all day about stuff that my "family" did NOT do .. and just other stuff.  But I think I got the kick in the behind I needed to acknowledge again how lucky I am to have the family I do.  Drive me crazy, but I love them.  And ..  big thing, they are HERE.  Thanks