Thursday, August 12, 2004

Terrific Journal Entries (Week-End Assignment # 19)

I have been having such a blah day.  I did finish cleaning, or at least picking up, the first floor of the house this morning, and threw in a couple of more loads of laundry, but it's getting cloudy, I haven't been for a walk, and I had to do 2.5 hours of carpooling today, a task I really hate.  Plus -- and this might be the real reason for my funk -- I'm in the middle of watching the second season of Six Feet Under, and it seems like an entirely dark and haunting series this time through. 

But this assignment has perked me up a bit.  I've read some excellent writing since I've started following a smattering of journals -- some of it thought-provoking, some lively and fresh, some bizarre and some heartbreaking.  And I've seen some photography that should be commanding the big bucks.  But I've decided that my favorite entry so far, the one that pulled me out of the doldrums today, is this one:

http://journals.aol.com/staceyandbern/NomadicMusings/entries/520.

It's the June 23, 2004 mostly-photos entry from Stacey's journal about her through-hike on the Pacific Northwest Trail.  No politics, no family angst, no college application process -- no, this one is a reminder to focus elsewhere, at least some of the time. 

And the trip that she and her companion Bernie have made is the focus of a trail assocation newsletter series -- exciting for them and for us, too.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You make me feel kinda bad that my journal is ALL about "politics and family angst!"  LOL!  But that's what I write about...!  LOL!  Lisa  :-]