Sunday, August 1, 2004

Barns 101

Who doesn't love a great barn?  I don't know; maybe they aren't as intriguing to everyone else as they are to me.  Growing up in the country, I was probably always aware of the hulking barns that loomed far larger than the modest farmhouses they supported.  Playing in a barn, with its lofts, stalls, and myriad doors, was a lot more fun than playing in a barren school gym.  When we were kids, my brother and I used to climb the outside ladder of a nearby silo and hang out over the countryside -- an activity of which our parents were probably unaware.

Most barns offer some individual expression of ownership -- a small cupola, an unusual weathervane or door, an Amish Hex sign, or a Mail Pouch Tobocco advertisement -- while the occasional barn is an impressive work of structural art. The eastern half of America today is littered with barns in various states of disrepair and collapse, but occasionally you'll find one that continues to be the object of someone's imagination, love and care:

Northern Michigan Farm

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of camera do you use?  THis picture is beautiful!  I grew up in an agrarian community.  All the kids I went to grammar school with (catholic girl, age 51 too!) were from the farms!  I was the city kid (ha...town of 4000) and I loved to go home with them and play on the farms, and the best was playing in the huge hulks of the tobacco barns!
Mary

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right...that IS a great barn!  Lisa  :-]

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is a great barn. And what a great shot of it. I never see barns like that while driving thru Ohio and southern Michigan every year.