Friday, August 27, 2004

So Far So Good

My son, forgetting about the time change, called early this morning from France.  He sounds ecstatic -- nothing at all like a world-weary college cynic.  He and his French parents spent yesterday visiting Dinar, which looks like a fine place to me:

All of his apprehension about seeing his family after two years had evaporated.  He said it was like he had never left.  (I had sort of thought that that would be the case.)  Today he left them and returned to Rennes, the city where he had lived with them:

He was calling from a phone booth in the suburban part of the city, outside the apartment where he had lived for a year!  He really does have a sentimental streak.  He is going to spend the day visiting his old haunts, and then take a train to meet his brother tonight.

The rest of us are living a more humdrum existence.  My husband has to have a crown replaced today, so he decided to take one of his many unused vacation days, but he's been working at his computer for an hour already.  My daughter is sound asleep, enjoying soccer practice's move to afternoons.  And I'm off for a walk.

 

Walked: 3 miles.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is wonderful that your children are able to travel at this age.  What an opportunity to expand their horizons and view the world from another perspective.  I'd love to know their impressions of the differences in life, culture, attitudes, etc. between Europe and the US.  Also, how aware are they of the current anti-American sentiment in France.  Is it something that is overt?  

Anonymous said...

Our new minister and her family just returend from a trip to the Netherlands, Belgium, and France, and she said people could not have been more gracious to them as Americans who spoke little beyond English.  Our experiences in France have been just the same.

Anonymous said...

Dinar looks gorgeous. I'm glad he's having a good time!

Anonymous said...

So glad your son is having a good trip.  How long will the brothers be traveling together?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I so want to go to France!  I would love to travel.....being afraid of boats and planes makes that a bit difficult, I guess!  LOL

Tracy