Tuesday, August 31, 2004

An Independent Young Lady

Today I went off to work and left my daughter on her own for her last day of summer vacation.  She was to drive herself out to school for the team bus to a soccer game, and drive herself home afterward.  Unfortunately, neither her dad nor I could have made it to the game before it was over.   

I called in the early afternoon and she wasn't home.  (When I reached her later, I learned she'd gone to the drugstore -- a place she's walked many times, but much more fun in a car, of course.)  I was about to go out for lunch and it suddenly dawned on me -- my daughter could have met me for lunch!  She's as independent as any of my friends.  She's on her way to becoming one of my friends!  I have some of my very best times having Saturday breakfast out with a group of women friends, and meeting individual friends for lunches and dinners.  But going out with my daughter -- that's going to be the best!  

I saw a pregnant woman pushing her cart across the parking lot at the grocery this evening, and a mother pushing a baby in a stroller on my way home afterward.   The women across the street have a child who looks like he's in preschool, and the girls further down are in middle school now.  All those stages were wonderful.  I loved having a little girl with white blond hair who danced through the house in pink dresses, purple tights, and glittery shoes.  I loved having a middle-schooler slouching down the hall in overalls and a t-shirt.  I love this high school senior whose face lights up with a dazzling smile as she trudges up the front steps in her soccer uniform, her bag slung over her shoulder.    And now I love what's coming next: a young woman out and about and managing beautifully on her own-- and meeting me for lunch. 

Haystack Rock off the coast of Oregon - where my daughter and I took a long walk together a few weeks ago.

Walked: 3 miles.

Walked this month: 69 miles -- pathetic.

Walked since beginning this journal: 440.7 miles.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to view your daughter growing up.  She sounds like an wonderful young woman.

Anonymous said...

We just have to enjoy every stage of our children, don't we.

By the way, 69 miles in a month is VERY good!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the long perspective!   Sometimes I drown in the details of day-to-day and forget that it is a long and wonderful process.