Wednesday, August 18, 2004

I was there, too!

Columbia River Gorge

Thanks to my daily Writer's Almanac mailing courtesy of Garrison Keillor, I have learned that Meriwether Lewis was born outside of Charlottesville, Virginia on this date in 1774.  Keillor states that on this day exactly 200 years ago, William Clark wrote:

"Captain Lewis' birthday: the evening was closed with an extra gill of whiskey and a Dance until 11 o'clock."

Meriwether Lewis himself wrote:

"This day I completed my thirty-first year, and ... I viewed with regret the many hours I have spent in indolence, but since they are past and cannot be recalled, I dash from me the gloomy thought, and resolved in future to redouble my exertions to ... live for mankind, as I have heretofore lived for myself."

Lewis & Clark College, Portland, Oregon

Walked: 4 miles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definitely a very beautiful part of the country.  Do you think your DD will go to school there?